Swiss Energy Transition
Some refer to Switzerland as the 'battery' of Europe. The resources it has in the gravitational potential of the Alps allows it to not only generate 60% of its electricity from hydropower, but also offer its neighbours an efficient means of storing excess electricity in pumped reservoir storage.
Energy Strategy 2050 (Switzerland)
Although Switzerland today has a secure and cost-effective energy supply, in view of the the economic, technological, and political developments at home and abroad, the Federal Government has developed the Energy Strategy 2050.
The Energy Strategy 2050 foresees 50% increase in the amount of electricity produced by renewable energy in Switzerland by 2020 over 2015. Waste-to-energy and photovoltaics continue to provide the lion share, and only show a minor increase. However, wind energy, biomass, biogas and geothermal are all expected to show significant increases.
The Swiss Energy Strategy 2050 is a comprehensive package of goals and measures for safe, reliable, efficient and affordable energy supply in Switzerland. The main pillars are:
- Higher energy efficiency in order to reduce or stabilize energy and electricity consumption despite economic and population growth;
- Step-by-step expansion of electricity production from hydropower and new renewable energies (solar, biomass, biogas, wind, waste, geothermal energy);
- Secure access to the European electricity market for mutually balancing adjustments based on weather, day and year-related production fluctuations;
- Modernization of the electricity transmission network;
- Coordinated energy research for efficiency technologies, networks, energy storage and electricity supply;
- Role model of the public sector through a rational use of energy and a broad coverage of energy consumption with renewable energies.
The energy strategy 2050 also calls on the companies to reduce their energy consumption "and to strengthen the economic positioning of Switzerland with innovative energy-saving products". The Alliance of the Swiss Economy for the Energy Strategy 2050 undertakes to meet the demands of this programme.
Swiss Energy Strategy 2035